SEPA Mujer Organizer
Part Time position: c. 30 hours p/week
Deadline, March 23rd 2018
Since 1993, SEPA Mujer has provided safe spaces for empowerment, leadership development, civic
engagement and legal assistance as the only Latina Rights Organization dedicated for social change,
women’s rights, immigrant rights among others by way of unique trainings, workshops, monthly
meetings, presentations, tabling, and action oriented engagement.
The Community Organizer identifies and fosters grassroots leadership; recruits members into the
organization; maintains own chapter(s) and conducts local meetings; mobilizes members for actions,
work in coalition building and performs a variety of other tasks to build grassroots power.
● One-on-One grassroots outreach in the field
● Identify and develop local leaders to get involved in organizing campaigns through in-depth one-on-ones,
and provide ongoing civic engagement and leadership development training.
● Organize and maintain local chapters and hold regular meetings
● Ensure active involvement of members in local, state and national campaigns through regular mobilization
and other means.
● Facilitate organizational meetings, events, and training for members and allies.
● Represent and facilitate leaders in representing SEPA Mujer when necessary before the media, legislative
bodies and legislators, community meetings, coalitions, and funders
● Interpret for community members when necessary to facilitate their involvement in the campaigns
● Participate in Internal Staff meetings
● Participation in SEPA Mujer actions, mobilizations and events as needed and required
● Build power through voter registration and education campaigns, ally development, and participation in
coalitions or networks as assigned
● Performing database entry and writing timely, regular reports. Meet deadlines established by supervisor
● Support the development and expansion of the Organization
● Provide quality customer service, interactions and responses to all members, partner organizations,
vendors, visitor, callers and any other individual or organization you may encounter in your role with SEPA
● Understand and promote SEPA Mujer membership, programs and services
● Support communications, including press contacts, email blasts, web posts, and social media;
● Play a supporting role in fundraising and grant-writing;
● Maintain a positive attitude
● Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Education/certification, knowledge, skills and abilities required:
● Demonstrated commitment to Social Justice
● Valid Drivers’ License and reliable car
● Willing/able to travel throughout Long Island
● Must be comfortable driving passengers and/or driving community members in personal vehicle from
time to time
● Minimum 2 years organizing experience (labor or community)
● Self-motivated and dedicated, with a proven ability to work independently and overcome obstacles;
● Experience working on Long Island;
● Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
● Eager to learn alongside a dynamic and effective team;
● Open to working some evenings and weekends;
● Bilingual English-Spanish strongly preferred.
● Computer skills, including: word processing, databases, excel and powerpoint.
● Ability to work under pressure
● Team-Work Oriented
Send Resume to:
Mail or Drop off: SEPA Mujer Inc. 45 Oak Street, Patchogue, NY 11772 (Temple Beth El Building)
Electronic: [email protected] (Martha Maffei Executive Director)
For more info: (631)980-2555/ [email protected] / sepamujer.org
SEPA Mujer Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
disability or sexual orientation.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business
necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification . Nothing in this job description
restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.